Pastor Edd Cathey of Grace and Peace Presbyterian Church (California, MD), led a team of young men on a discipleship/evangelism training trip to Keys Evangelistic Ministries (Key West, FL), on July 12-18, 2014. Pastor Bill Welzien of Keys Presbyterian Church makes this short-term missions opportunity available to all OP churches (for more information, click here). Rev. Cathey shared the following report with us:
We traveled by airline from Baltimore to Miami and drove a rented SUV 3 ½ hours to Key West. There we were the guests of KEM (Keys Evangelistic Ministries) and Keys Presbyterian Church (OPC). We stayed in their comfortable dormitory which includes three bedrooms, two full baths and spacious kitchen.
- We worshipped with the dear saints at Keys Presbyterian Church.
- We studied a bit about human beings as God’s image.
- We listened and interacted with Rev. Bill Welzien several times to learn about evangelism and the role of disciples, and we prayed for God’s indispensable help.
- We attended and assisted in six public gospel presentations at Mallory Square sunset celebration where we spoke to listeners and handed out literature.
- We got lost several times in the confusing streets and byways of Key West (Pastor Cathey was in the lead!) ☺
- We cooked together and ate together. Thanks to Susannah Shelton for making the travel and food arrangements.
- We also enjoyed a morning of snorkeling at a reef six miles offshore and saw the amazing variety of fish and coral.
- Aaron and Josh enjoyed a 27 mile Wave-runner tour around Key West one day.
Was it worthwhile? I think all of us would answer a resounding “YES.”
NOTE: Team member, Tom Sills, provided a personal testimonial about his experience – click here to read!