Men, women, couples, college students! Do you like to teach, and desire to serve as a short-term missionary on a foreign field? Teachers are needed in Uganda year-round!
Consider this opportunity to serve with the Karamoja Education Outreach (KEO) project! KEO is under the supervision of Dr. Martha Wright of the OP Uganda Mission. College students looking for an independent study project would be very welcome, and Dr. Wright is qualified and available to act as supervisor of their research work.
- young children in the KEO nursery school (and possibly in the village nursery school)
- primary-school age children in local public schools
- young out-of-school housegirls and shepherd boys
- Possibly helping with local literacy outreaches
The Ideal Candidate:
- Interested in making the best out of not-always-perfect situations
- Not fussy or dogmatic
- Willing to take initiative and follow through on plans
- Willing to patiently and compassionately train local teachers who have little education themselves
- Bonus qualifications:
- Experience and/or training in education
- Anyone who is good at sports – especially soccer!
- The local children have really appreciated the young men who have come to work with us!
- Most of the teaching is done in English with the help of Karimojong translators, so even new teachers or visitors can jump right in!
- Anyone willing to try to learn to communicate using the local language (with the help of the missionaries and teachers) would be a bonus!
- Teachers are needed and can begin at any time!
- A teacher would initially serve for 1 to 3 months, and then, if all goes well, could apply to be a Missionary Associate for a period of 1 to 2 years or longer.
KEO teachers, like other short-term missionaries, have to raise their own support. Costs vary considerably from person to person depending on how long one stays and current airfare rates. Contact Martha Wright, below, for all the details.
About Uganda and KEO:
- The comprehensive OPUM website includes a carefully detailed Visitor’s Handbook which is must-reading for anyone considering serving in this remote region of the world
- Visit the KEO Webpage
- Visit KEO on Facebook
Those interested in serving are encouraged to contact Martha Wright directly with any and all questions or to request an application form:
Martha Wagar Wright, Ph.D.
Karamoja Education Outreach
Orthodox Presbyterian Uganda Mission