by David Nakhla, OPC Short-Term Missions Coordinator (May 2016)
STM Training PowerPoint Presentation:
I’ve been participating for a few years now in helping to train the teams that run the “English for Kids and Teens” Bible camps in Quebec. My 45-minute PowerPoint presentation focuses on preparing for the short-term missions experience in general – spiritual and physical preparation as well as planning for important post-trip reflections and communications.
My presentation, “The Role of STMs in OPC Missions,” is available here if you would like to use my slides to help prepare your short-term missions team for service.
Contact me if you have any questions about how to utilize this PDF PowerPoint presentation, or if you would like to arrange a time for me to present the material to your team via web-conference.
STM Lessons from Philippians:
I also recommend the following article by Daniel Rickett as a means of STM preparation. In Short-Term Mission Partnerships: Lessons from Paul and the Philippians, Rickett concludes that “Paul’s relationship with the church of Philippi calls for a different paradigm of short-term mission:
- It changes the way we envision and plan short-term missions.
- It changes our approach from a hodgepodge of unrelated trips to a series of intentional engagements with the same people in the same place.
- It changes our starting position from being givers to first being friends.
- It changes our orientation from being teachers and service providers to being companions in the gospel.
- It changes our methods from doing for others to accompanying others in living like citizens of heaven on earth.
- It changes the impression we leave from being tourists to being fellow citizens in the struggle to act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with God (Micah 6:8).”
Click here to read Rickett’s full article.