by Janet Birkmann, STM Admin Assistant (updated February 2017)
* * * * * * * Team Praha 2017 has been filled! * * * * * * * *
This year’s team of 13 includes:
- 9 young women and 4 young men
- members of 9 OP congregations from 4 states
- 5 returning team members and 8 first-timers
Once again this summer, the Youth Committee of the Presbytery of Southern California will send Team “Praha” (Czech for “Prague”) to the Czech Republic to work with OP missionaries Marilyn and Jerry Farnik.
From Team Organizer, David Crum:
“Most of you know that Martin Luther was the man that God used to fan into flame a love for God and His Word that changed the course of history and became known as The Reformation. Most also know that this year the church celebrates the 500th Anniversary of that colossal event!
“Now you have an opportunity to visit the home country of Jan Hus, ‘a Czech priest, philosopher, Master at Charles University in Prague, church reformer, and a key predecessor to Protestantism’ (Wikipedia) who was burned at the stake for his beliefs in 1415, and was an important influence on the life and work of Martin Luther.
“Not only that, but you have an opportunity to assist our missionaries, Jerry and Marilyn Farnik, in witnessing to Christ and sharing the Gospel, together carrying on Jon Hus’ legacy. Jerry has 30 years of experience as an evangelist to the Czech Republic, and he loves the willingness and enthusiasm of our young folks who want to come alongside him and his family and aid them in their ministry.
“Sound too wonderful to pass up? Great!! You can download an application here. But you have to hurry; the deadline to apply is March 12, 2017.”
- Monday, July 24 – Monday, August 14, 2017
Three weeks of ministry:
- Week One: Vacation Bible School for children of adults attending a Christian counseling conference
- Week Two: Czech Mountain Adventure focusing on friendship evangelism and discipleship with Czech teens and young adults
- Week Three: Vacation Bible School of neighborhood children in Prague
The team’s work will be punctuated by three Sundays of rest and worship with the Farniks at their church plant in Modrany.
- This year’s team will be led by Eli Hirtzel (Branch of Hope OPC, Torrance, CA) and Kathleen Winslow (Westminster OPC, Westminster, CA).
Brochure and Application Form:
- Team Praha 2017 Brochure
- Team Praha 2017 Application
- Pastor/Elder reference letters should be sent to Dave Crum at email@example.com
- Application Deadline: March 12, 2017
- Click here for an overview of Team Praha
- Click here to review photos and testimonials from Team Praha
Rev. David Crum