by Rev. Ben Westerveld, OPC Missionary and Pastor, St=Marc’s Reformed Church, Quebec City, Canada (March 2017)
* * * * * * * 2017 English for Kids Teams have been filled! * * * * * * * *
“English for Kids” camps are Bible-centered, English-immersion day camps that aim to share the gospel with 5-to-12 year old children of non-believing, French-speaking families in Quebec City who seek opportunities for their children to start learning English at a young age.
- St-Marc’s Reformed Church in Quebec City, where OP Missionary Rev. Ben Westerveld serves as Pastor, sponsors these camps each summer.
- Teams of English-speaking volunteers from Reformed and Presbyterian churches in North America are sought to help lead the camps.
- Teams may bring their own curriculum (see “Teams,” below)
- Individuals may apply to join an existing team. Contact the Camp Coordinator (below).
- All camp activities (songs, Bible stories, crafts, videos/DVDs, and games) are conducted in English.
- Children are sent home with a French translation of the Bible lessons that are taught.
- Bilingual volunteers and a Camp Coordinator act as liaisons between the English-speaking volunteers and the French-speaking children and families.
- The final day of camp includes a barbeque and performance to which family and friends are invited. Members of St-Marc’s also attend this event in order to make connections for follow-up ministry.
- The Pastor, Camp Coordinator, and bilingual volunteers follow up with the families after the camp.
St-Marc’s is currently seeking a a few more people to help lead week #1, and an entire team to lead week #2.
- June 26 – 30, 2017 A few more people needed to join existing team
- July 3 – 7, 2017 Team needed
- July 10 – 14, 2016 This team is FILLED
Teams or Individuals May Apply:
Teams are invited to bring their own curriculum and materials, perhaps from a Vacation Bible School program they ran in their home church that can be adapted to a program designed to teach English as a second language. Once a team has committed to conducting a camp, the Camp Coordinator will discuss in greater detail how to adapt such a program. The program must be submitted at least 6-8 weeks before the camp so that the Camp Coordinator can review it and send back comments for improvement if needed.
Teams ideally include a sufficient number of adults to supervise and direct the camp, and enough youth to help energize and work with the children. The ideal team will have between 15 and 20 members. Sometimes two smaller teams are joined to conduct one camp together.
Individuals seeking to join an existing team may contact the Camp Coordinator (below) to ask if there are openings.
All team members must demonstrate a credible faith and Christian life, and have a sincere desire to make Christ known through the project.
Please note that the congregation of St-Marc’s cannot absorb the costs of the English for Kids Bible Camps into its budget. Therefore, the church is delighted and encouraged by the support of sister churches and volunteers who enable them to reach out to the community in ways they could not on their own!
English for Kids team members are responsible for the following variable costs; however, a considerable part of them are usually covered by the campers’ registration fees:
- Housing (click here for housing options)
- Transportation to and from Quebec
- Local transportation
- Rental of the church facility
- Camp materials
Québec is a great travel destination, and team members may want to allow time before or after their week of camp to do some touring. Click here to learn more.
Click here to find Photos and Testimonials from past camps.
Click here to download and complete an “Application for Québec Short-Term Mission Program.”
E4K Team Coordinator
Rev. Ben Westerveld
Pastor, St. Mark’s Reformed Church, Quebec City