by Janet Birkmann, STM Admin Assistant (April 2017)
College-aged volunteers are sought to join a team that teaches English Conversation classes to university students in Asia during the month of July each summer. The team often consists of volunteers from around the world.
- Those who have finished their junior year of college are preferred, however, mature persons who have finished their sophomore year will also be considered.
- It is not necessary to have a teaching background, although that would be helpful.
- There will be a lot of demands, so volunteers need to be in good health.
- Volunteers should be willing to work as part of a team as soon as they arrive.
- Each team member teaches one to two hours of English Conversation class every day (Monday to Friday).
- The job includes additional hours of lesson preparation, homework grading, student interaction, etc.
- The month of July each summer
- Must arrive a few days before July 1st and plan to stay on a few days after July 31st
- Team members are responsible for their airfare and spending money.
Meals and Lodging:
- Room and board is provided.
- Team members may choose to live in the “English House” with the students, which provides a great opportunity to get to know each other well and creates an atmosphere in which the students can use English on a daily basis.
Testimonial from a recent English House participant:
“The university where the (OP) mission does most of its work hosted a group of volunteers (including myself) from across the globe and denominational lines, from countries as diverse as the United States, Wales, and the Netherlands. We came to the university to serve in the English Conversation Office (ECO), where we each taught one or two classes. While teaching was our task, we were also dedicated to shining the light of the Gospel into the darkness our students lived in, through relationship-building, prayer, and welcoming students into our lives.”
Click here to read more.
Rev. Douglas Clawson
Associate General Secretary
OPC Committee on Foreign Missions