by Janet Birkmann, OPC Disaster Response Admin Assistant (updated November 13, 2017)
Join those who are saying “yes” to volunteering for OPC Disaster Response work in Texas and Florida following Hurricanes Harvey and Irma!
- Denominational: David Nakhla, OPC Disaster Response Coordinator, is overseeing OPC relief efforts from the OPC Administrative Offices in Willow Grove, Pennsylvania, and visiting the relief sites as appropriate
- Regional: Regional Disaster Response Coordinators are in place in the Presbytery of the Southwest (Houston relief site) and the Presbytery of the South (Florida relief sites)
- Local: Local Site Coordinators and Volunteer Coordinators are in place
WE NEED YOU!
- Volunteers are needed in Houston (Hurricane Harvey)
- Volunteers are needed in Key West (Hurricane Irma)
- Volunteers are needed in Puerto Rico (Hurricane Maria)
- Skilled volunteers are needed
- Unskilled volunteers are needed
- Volunteers are needed now
- Volunteers will be needed over the next 1-2 years
- Volunteers can give whatever length of time they are able to
- Volunteers are responsible for their own travel to the relief site in most cases
- Volunteers are responsible for their own food in most cases
- Volunteers will be provided with local housing
DISASTER RELIEF IS DIACONAL!
- Let the deacons in your church know that you are interested in volunteering for hurricane relief! Ask if diaconal funds can be used towards your transportation and food!
CALL FOR VOLUNTEERS:
- Click here for a printable PDF flier/poster to use as a bulletin insert or to post on your church bulletin board.
Examples of Volunteer Jobs:
- Dry wall
- Finish carpentry
- Heat and AC
- Rough carpentry
- Sheet rock
- Bringing encouragement!
- Clearing out downed trees, branches, and other debris
- General cleaning
- Local outreach
- Mucking out
- Trash hauling
Local Outreach in Houston:
- Doorstep visitation and prayer
- Gospel literature distribution
Skills Needed Now!
As of November 13, 2017, immediate volunteer needs on each field include:
- Individuals or teams skilled in taping and floating drywall, finish carpentry, or electrical work.
- Individuals or teams skilled in drywall, roofing, soffit/flashing work, electrical work, scaffolding/ladder work.
- Individuals or teams to bring encouragement to our OP churches and/or participate in outreach opportunities.
Houston Volunteers Needed: Calendar:
Volunteers who have served in Houston have come from:
- New Jersey
- New Hampshire
- New York
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
Volunteers who have served in Key West have come from:
- Ft. Lauderdale, FL
- Orlando, FL
- Palm Beach, FL
- Columbus, OH
- Mt. Vernon, OH
HARVEY: Application Form and Frequently Asked Questions:
- Click here for FAQs and an application to serve as a Hurricane Harvey Volunteer in Houston.
Latest Reports on Hurricane Relief:
- Click here to find the latest reports on the work in Texas, Florida, and Puerto Rico.
- Click here to find archived S.T.O.R.M. Report newsletters on hurricane relief.
Contact Volunteer Coordinators:
Any and all questions and concerns may be directed to our on-site Volunteer Coordinators! They look forward to hearing from you!
Houston (Hurricane Harvey):
Florida (Hurricane Irma):
Puerto Rico (Hurricane Maria):
MARIA: OP Churches in Puerto Rico:
- Rev. Dick Ellis, representing the Presbytery of New Jersey (to which our OP churches in Puerto Rico belong), and OPC Disaster Response Coordinator David Nakhla traveled to Puerto Rico from October 7 to 12, 2017, to meet with church leaders and assess how OPC Disaster Response might participate in bringing help and relief to the victims of Hurricane Maria. Stay tuned here and at Facebook for further information as OPC relief efforts in Puerto Rico are developed.