As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another.
1 Peter 4:10 (ESV)
We are commanded to use our gifts in serving one another! There are two ways to pursue this within the realm of Short-Term Missions in the OPC. You can create an opportunity for short-term service, or serve as a short-term missionary yourself!
Create a Short-Term Missions Opportunity
At your church:
Is there a ministry, community outreach program, or church building project that your church could undertake if it had the help of volunteers from other OP churches or presbyteries? For example:
- Church Refurbishment Projects:
- Providence OPC in West Lebanon, New Hampshire, was blessed by the help of individuals and teams from OP churches across the country
- Christ OPC in Magna, Utah, received a team from Faith OPC in Long Beach, California
- Faith Bible OPC in Brick, New Jersey, received a team organized by Covenant OPC in Orland Park, Illinois
- Local Outreach and Service:
OP churches and church plants are encouraged to consider ways in which they could utilize volunteers to help them tackle their “to do lists” or “wish lists!” Making such a need known provides an opportunity for service for individuals or groups in the OPC who desire to share their time and skills with another church!
In your presbytery:
A more ambitious undertaking is the organization of a short-term missions team to go oversees and serve alongside our OPC foreign missionaries. For example:
- The Presbytery of Southern California has organized and sent “Team Haiti” and “Team Praha” to Haiti and the Czech Republic for many years.
- The Presbytery of Ohio has organized teams to work at the Nozomi Center in Japan, where the recovery from the Tsunami of March 2011 continues.
- The Presbytery of New York and New England organizes a team each summer to travel to Quebec and run an “English for Kids” Bible Camp in the town of St-Georges de Beauce!
- The Presbytery of the Midwest organizes an annual VBS outreach on the Indian reservations in Zoar, Wisconsin.
What’s the first step?
Contact David Nakhla, the OPC’s Short-Term Missions and Disaster Response Coordinator, to discuss your needs and ideas. He can help you develop a plan to offer a short-term missions opportunity at your church or in your presbytery. He can also put you in touch with those who have previously sent or received teams for further guidance.
You can also complete a form online to Request a Team.
Serve as a Short-Term Missionary
How We Serve:
- Community outreach
- Construction/mechanical work
- Education outreach
- Emergency response
- Medical outreach
- Service projects
- Teaching English
- Teaching missionary kids
- Vacation Bible School
- Working with children
- Working with missionaries
- Youth group ventures
Current opportunities for short-term service are detailed here on our website, transmitted via our monthly e-newsletter (the S.T.O.R.M. Report), and posted on our Facebook page. Each posting includes the name and email address of the person who is directly overseeing that particular project or trip. You can also contact David Nakhla with any questions or concerns you may have about any opportunity.
Let us help you get involved!
Coordinator, Short-Term Missions and Disaster Response
Administrative Assistant, Short-Term Missions and Disaster Response